Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Pardon Fashion Show: A Feral Affair!

Wow!  It actually happened!

The Pardon Fashion Show: A Feral Affair turned out to be an amazing fête of fashion! It was an absolute pleasure to debut my line of ready to wear wedding dress at event with such a great energy and enthusiastic turnout!

Having my collection ready (well…almost) for the show proved to be a monumental task. I had not received my patterns from Chicago until the very end of December which means I had essentially one month to make five couture wedding dresses. Sure. No problem.

It certainly would not have been possible without the help and support from so many friends and family. My wonderful husband, Dan, and his mother, Karen, were instrumental in making sure I made it to the fashion show in once piece. My models were making sure I was eating enough (hilarious, right?). They would not have even had makeup for the show had it not been for my mother. My friend, Ricki, shown below in her fabulous neon pastel jumpsuit, not only coiffed my models to perfection, but she also proved to be extremely effective at coaching me out of a major melt-down. Let me just say, that is not an easy task.

Fie! 




Said breakdown occurred when I realized I was going to end up one dress short of presenting my entire collection. Of course I was sewing up until the last minute and I was simply unable to address a few snags to my satisfaction that I had run into on the Juliet Dress. I also learned a thing or two about how long it takes to sew a ruffle, which will be handy on future projects. Every obstacle is an opportunity to learn something for the future!  With one dress out of the running, I was distraught about letting down Sophia, my model, and Maria, my veil collaborator. Then my ingenious husband suggested that Sophia could just wear my wedding dress.

What the…what?
The man with the plan. 


Trust me, dear reader, that I do not understand the physics that allow Sophia and me to fit into the same dress.  We are, without exaggeration, at least three sizes apart.  The only possible explanation is that the universe cut me some slack that day. Not only did the dress fit her, it looked fantastic!  It was the exact right style for her body type! Sophia, along with Stephie, Chelon, Alicia, and Karli all looked radiant as they did their little turn on the catwalk.

By the way, how lovely are those veils?? One of the best parts about doing a show like this is collaborating with other artists.  I was super lucky to snap up Maria, an amazing art metal’s student at UW – Stout. She made the beautiful veils pictured below out of a super cool plastic mesh, feathers, hopes, dreams, unicorn hair, and I don’t even know what else. They were the perfect touch for a Feral Fashion Show!


Next up is the Menomonie Wedding Fair on Sunday, February 20th from 12:00 – 4:00pm. Come by, say Hi, and find out more about Something New, LLC!







Last minute substitution: my actual wedding dress. It's a long story. 




Does she look familiar?




Awww!  They're so pretty!
Photographer: Jeremy Nelson and Leah Dunbar / Venue: The Raw Deal  

No comments:

Post a Comment