Monday, July 18, 2011

Run, Run, Runaround

I am loving this summer, but I would also love if it would slow down just a bit!  Does anyone else feel the same way?

One of the many things keeping my busy was a fantastic week-long Susan Khalje Couture Sewing Seminar in Chicago, IL.  It was so wonderful to see Susan again after taking her class two years ago! I was so excited to have to opportunity to benefit from her many years of couture and industry experience. She is a really wonderful person and teacher who manages to make the amazing attainable. I also enjoyed getting to know my fabulous classmates. The seminar consisted of about eight other women who came from all different walks of life and interest levels. There were other professional designers, hobbiests, and couture enthusiasts. One gal, Erin Young, is a positively delightful designer and dress-maker located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Her project was a gorgeous champagne colored sheath dress covered in hand sewn taupe lace for the mother of a bride. It was stunning, but somehow, I think Erin might be done with lace for a little while after that project!

I also had the pleasure of sitting next to Rhonda Buss, whom I have deemed "The Woman Who Does Everything." After chatting with her for one week, I discovered that she is active in the Haute Couture Club in Chicago, she facilitates the adoption of rescue dogs, and owns and flies her own airplane. What the...what?  All I can say is 'Wow.' Of course, Rhonda, not being satisfied with the work load of a mere mortal, decided to work on two projects during the class: a haute couture Chanel Jacket and a magical strapless dress made out of a novelty fabric she found in Venice, Italy (There are pictures on her website!). Soooo fancy!

Rhonda also brought in some of her own hats made by Chicago Couture Milliner, John Koch. She was nice enough to let me model one of his creations, pictured below. You can clearly tell from the photos that I hate modeling couture hats and having my picture taken. Hate. On a side note, does anyone else think that there should be a "sarcastic" font? I digress.

What? I should actually say something about the project I worked on during the class? Well, okay. Since I had never tried my hand at one before, I decided to create an asymmetrical one-shoulder dress. I wanted to hone my draping and ruching skills on a dress-form since it is a technique so commonly used on bridal gowns. The result was this little sassy number. The fabric I had brought to the class for the skirt ended up not working out, so I purchased this vibrant watermelon colored silk dupioni.  It was so much fun to work with a color other than white! The bodice fabric is, of course, the same hemp silk blend that I've used in the rest of my line. I am still putting the finishing touches on this dress (the class was only one week, people!) but soon I will post better pictures so you can see the the pleats that fan from the side seam out across the bodice.  It really turned out quite lovely. And sassy.

Me and Linda, another super-cool class mate. 

I should be wearing heels for this picture. 
Hat by John Koch
Hat by John Koch

 PS. Rhonda and I share the same birthday. Must be a Sagittarius thing, right?  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment